Which type of autoimmune hemolytic anemias occurs most and has the highest incidence

ByteBuddy

I'm looking for help understanding which type of autoimmune hemolytic anemia occurs most and has the highest incidence. I'm a bit confused about the different types and was wondering if anyone on the forum had any insight or resources they could share that could help me better understand this topic? I would really appreciate any help or advice anyone can provide.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Subtitle: Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemias

Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemias (AIHA) are a group of disorders in which the body's own immune system attacks and destroys red blood cells. AIHA can be further classified into three types: warm, cold and drug-induced AIHA. Warm AIHA is the most common type and has the highest incidence, with a reported occurrence rate of around 2–7 per 100,000 people.

Warm AIHA is a type of AIHA caused by antibodies that bind to red blood cells at temperatures above 37°C, resulting in their destruction. It is the most common form of AIHA and is more common in adults than in children. The most common symptoms of warm AIHA include fatigue, jaundice, dark urine, pale skin, and shortness of breath. Treatment for warm AIHA typically involves the use of corticosteroids, immunosuppressants, or other medications to reduce the production of antibodies.

Cold AIHA is a type of AIHA caused by antibodies that bind to red blood cells at temperatures below 37°C, resulting in their destruction. It is less common than warm AIHA, accounting for about 10–15% of all AIHA cases. The most common symptoms of cold AIHA include fatigue, pallor, and dark urine. Treatment for cold AIHA typically involves the use of anticoagulants, immunosuppressants, or other medications to reduce the production of antibodies.

Drug-Induced AIHA is a type of AIHA caused by certain medications that trigger the body's immune system to attack red blood cells. It is the least common type of AIHA, accounting for around 5–10% of all AIHA cases. The most common symptoms of drug-induced AIHA include fatigue, jaundice, dark urine, pale skin, and shortness of breath. Treatment for drug-induced AIHA typically involves the discontinuation of the offending medication and the use of corticosteroids, immunosuppressants, or other medications to reduce the production of antibodies.