Which test is most affected by hemolysis

CuriousCat

Hi everyone, I'm new here and I have a question about which test is most affected by hemolysis. I'm trying to learn more about laboratory tests and I'm wondering which test is impacted the most by hemolysis. Does anyone have any experience with this or any advice on which test I should pay attention to? I'd really appreciate any help you could offer.

TechJunkie

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Hemolysis is the breakdown of red blood cells, which can be caused by a variety of factors including disease, injury, or certain medications. The most commonly affected laboratory tests when hemolysis is present are the tests that measure the levels of electrolytes, bilirubin, enzymes, and proteins in the blood.

Electrolyte Tests

Electrolyte tests measure the levels of sodium, potassium, calcium, and other electrolytes in the blood. When hemolysis is present, these tests can become inaccurate due to the release of electrolytes from the red blood cells. This can lead to false high or false low results, which can then lead to incorrect diagnoses and treatments.

Bilirubin Test

Bilirubin is a breakdown product of hemoglobin, the protein that carries oxygen in red blood cells. When hemolysis occurs, the bilirubin released from the red blood cells can cause inaccurate results on a bilirubin test. This can lead to incorrect diagnoses and treatments.

Enzyme Tests

Enzyme tests measure the levels of certain enzymes in the blood, such as aspartate aminotransferase (AST) and alanine aminotransferase (ALT). When hemolysis is present, these tests can be inaccurate due to the release of enzymes from the red blood cells. This can lead to false high or false low results, which can then lead to incorrect diagnoses and treatments.

Protein Tests

Protein tests measure the levels of proteins in the blood, such as albumin and globulin. When hemolysis is present, these tests can be inaccurate due to the release of proteins from the red blood cells. This can lead to false high or false low results, which can then lead to incorrect diagnoses and treatments.