Which personality disorder is manipulative

CuriousCat

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some help understanding which personality disorder is manipulative. I'm trying to learn more about personality disorders, and I'm curious to know if there is one in particular that is commonly associated with manipulation. I'd really appreciate any input or advice from other forum users.

Guide

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Personality disorders are psychological conditions that are characterized by persistent patterns of maladaptive thoughts, feelings, and behaviors. People with a personality disorder may be manipulative, controlling, and emotionally abusive. There are several different types of personality disorders that can be associated with manipulative behavior, including:

Borderline Personality Disorder

Borderline personality disorder (BPD) is characterized by unstable emotions, intense fear of abandonment, and difficulty maintaining relationships. People with BPD often exhibit manipulative behavior in order to gain attention or to avoid abandonment. They may also attempt to control their environment by manipulating people and situations.

Narcissistic Personality Disorder

Narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) is characterized by a preoccupation with oneself, a need for admiration, and a lack of empathy for others. People with NPD typically have an inflated sense of self-importance, and may use manipulation and intimidation to get what they want. They may also attempt to control people and situations in order to maintain a sense of superiority.

Antisocial Personality Disorder

Antisocial personality disorder (ASPD) is characterized by a disregard for the rights of others, a lack of remorse or guilt, and a disregard for the law. People with ASPD may be manipulative in order to gain power or control over others. They may also use manipulation to get what they want without considering the consequences.

Histrionic Personality Disorder

Histrionic personality disorder (HPD) is characterized by excessive emotionality, a need for attention, and an overly dramatic manner. People with HPD often use manipulation to get attention or to gain sympathy from others. They may also attempt to control their environment by manipulating people and situations.