Which organs produce ALT

IdeaGenius

Hello everyone! I'm looking for some help understanding which organs produce ALT (alanine aminotransferase). I've learned that ALT is an enzyme found in the liver, but I'm not sure if this is the only organ that produces it. Could someone please explain what other organs might be involved in ALT production? Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Guide

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
ALT, also known as alanine aminotransferase, is an enzyme found in the liver and other organs. ALT is an enzyme that helps the body break down proteins.

Liver

The liver is the primary organ that produces ALT. This enzyme is released into the bloodstream when the liver is damaged or inflamed. High levels of ALT in the blood may indicate liver disease or damage.

Kidneys

The kidneys also produce ALT, though to a lesser extent than the liver. High levels of ALT in the blood may be a sign of kidney damage or disease.

Heart

The heart also produces ALT, but at much lower levels than the liver and kidneys. High levels of ALT in the blood may indicate heart damage or disease.

Muscles

ALT is also found in the muscles, but at much lower levels than the liver and kidneys. High levels of ALT in the blood may indicate muscle damage or disease.