Which organ is affected by COVID-19

DigitalExplorer

I'm wondering if anyone can help me out with some information about which organs are affected by COVID-19. I have heard that it can affect the lungs, but I'm not sure if any other organs are affected too. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with this virus that they can share? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Guide

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Respiratory System

COVID-19 is primarily a respiratory illness, caused by the novel coronavirus SARS-CoV-2. The virus can affect the lungs, throat, and nasal passages. Symptoms of COVID-19 can range from mild (such as a sore throat and runny nose) to severe (such as pneumonia or acute respiratory distress syndrome). The virus is spread through respiratory droplets, and direct contact with an infected person.

Cardiovascular System

COVID-19 can affect the cardiovascular system in various ways. It can cause inflammation of the heart muscle (myocarditis), inflammation of blood vessels (vasculitis), and clotting problems (thrombosis). Studies have also found that patients with severe COVID-19 are at increased risk of heart attack, stroke, and other cardiovascular problems.

Gastrointestinal System

COVID-19 can also cause gastrointestinal symptoms, such as diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting. The virus can also cause inflammation of the intestines (gastroenteritis). In some cases, these symptoms can be severe and can lead to dehydration.

Nervous System

COVID-19 can cause neurological symptoms, such as confusion, headache, and seizures. It can also cause inflammation of the brain (encephalitis). In rare cases, it can cause a condition called acute disseminated encephalomyelitis (ADEM). ADEM is a rare autoimmune disorder that affects the brain and spinal cord.

Kidneys

COVID-19 can also affect the kidneys. Studies have found that patients with severe COVID-19 are at increased risk of acute kidney injury (AKI). AKI is a condition in which the kidneys fail to filter waste and toxins from the blood. In severe cases, it can lead to kidney failure.