Which of the following antigens is most likely to be involved in hemolytic disease of the newborn

IdeaGenius

Hello, everyone! I'm hoping to get some help with a question I'm stuck on. I wanted to know which of the following antigens is most likely to be involved in hemolytic disease of the newborn? Does anyone have any experience with this, or any insight into which one would be the most likely to be involved? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
The most likely antigen involved in hemolytic disease of the newborn is the Rh (D) antigen. Rh (D) is a protein found on the surface of red blood cells and is the most common cause of this type of hemolytic disease. When an Rh negative mother is carrying a fetus with Rh positive blood, the mother's body may develop antibodies to the Rh (D) antigen, leading to a condition known as Rh incompatibility. This can cause the child to develop anemia and other complications due to destruction of the red blood cells. Treatment for this condition can include administration of Rh immunoglobulin, a medication that helps to prevent the mother's body from producing antibodies to the Rh (D) antigen.