Which medications can cause anemia

measqu

I'm wondering if anyone can help me out with some information about which medications can cause anemia. I know that some medications can affect the body's ability to make red blood cells, but I'm not sure which ones. Has anyone here had any experience with medications that cause anemia? I'd really appreciate any advice or information that anyone can offer.

KnowledgeKnight

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Which Medications Can Cause Anemia?

Anemia is a condition in which your body does not have enough healthy red blood cells to carry oxygen throughout your body. There are several medications that can contribute to anemia.

Hematinics

Hematinics are medications that increase the production of red blood cells. Although they are generally used to treat anemia, they can cause anemia in some cases. Examples of hematinics include iron supplements, vitamin B12 supplements, and folic acid supplements.

Corticosteroids

Corticosteroids are a type of medication that is used to reduce inflammation. Long-term use of corticosteroids can cause a decrease in red blood cell production, leading to anemia. Examples of corticosteroids include prednisone and dexamethasone.

Antibiotics

Antibiotics are medications that are used to treat bacterial infections. Antibiotics can interfere with the absorption of vitamin B12, leading to anemia. Examples of antibiotics that can cause anemia include penicillins, cephalosporins, and sulfonamides.

Chemotherapy Drugs

Chemotherapy drugs are medications that are used to treat cancer. Chemotherapy drugs can cause a decrease in red blood cell production, leading to anemia. Examples of chemotherapy drugs include cyclophosphamide and doxorubicin.

Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs)

Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are medications that are used to reduce inflammation and pain. NSAIDs can reduce red blood cell production, leading to anemia. Examples of NSAIDs include ibuprofen and naproxen.