Which lab test is helpful in detecting a hemolytic transfusion reaction

DreamWeaver

Hello all! I'm looking for help with understanding which lab test is best for detecting a hemolytic transfusion reaction. I've been told that a direct antiglobulin test (DAT) is used, but I'm not sure if this is the only test or if there are other reliable options available.

ConceptCrafter

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Direct Antiglobulin Test

The Direct Antiglobulin Test (DAT) is a laboratory test that is helpful in detecting a hemolytic transfusion reaction. It is also known as a Coombs test. The DAT is a test that detects the presence of antibodies or complement proteins on the surface of red blood cells. These proteins are usually found in the body when a person has an immune response to an antigen, such as in a transfusion reaction. In a hemolytic transfusion reaction, the DAT will detect the presence of these proteins, indicating that the red blood cells are being destroyed by the body's own immune system. The DAT can be used to confirm a diagnosis of a hemolytic transfusion reaction, as well as to identify the cause of the reaction. The DAT is an important test in the management of transfusion reactions and should be performed as soon as possible after a transfusion reaction is suspected.