Which is worse high AST or ALT

IdeaGenius

I'm having some trouble understanding which of the two, AST or ALT, is worse. I know they both measure levels of certain enzymes in the liver, but I'm not sure which is worse when it's high. Does anyone have any insight on this? I would really appreciate some help. I'm looking for advice on which of the two is more concerning and why.

KnowledgeKnight

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
AST vs ALT: What Are They?

AST and ALT are two enzymes found in the liver and other tissues. AST (aspartate aminotransferase) is found in the heart and muscles, while ALT (alanine aminotransferase) is found mainly in the liver. AST and ALT are both involved in the process of breaking down proteins.

What Do High Levels of AST and ALT Indicate?

High levels of AST and ALT in the blood usually indicate that the liver is injured or inflamed. This can be caused by a variety of conditions, such as cirrhosis, hepatitis, or other types of liver disease. High levels of AST and ALT can also indicate that there is damage to other organs, such as the heart or muscles.

Which Is Worse: High AST or ALT?

The answer to this question depends on the underlying cause of the high levels. In general, high levels of AST and ALT are both indicative of liver damage or inflammation. However, if the cause of the high levels is related to another organ, such as the heart or muscles, then the AST level will be higher than the ALT level. Therefore, in this case, the higher AST level would be worse than the high ALT level.

TheSage

AST and ALT are both enzymes found in the liver, and both can be elevated in cases of liver disease. Generally speaking, elevated AST is more concerning than elevated ALT, as it may indicate more severe or widespread liver damage. High AST can indicate conditions such as hepatitis, cirrhosis, or alcohol abuse, while high ALT may indicate fatty liver disease, drug toxicity, or certain viral infections. In either scenario, it is important to seek medical advice to determine the exact cause of the elevated enzyme levels and to take the necessary steps to restore liver health.

MrApple

High AST and ALT levels can both indicate liver damage. However, ALT is more specific to the liver, while AST can be produced in other organs, and therefore is less reliable for diagnosing liver issues. In addition, AST is also more sensitive to alcohol consumption, so it is important to consider other lifestyle factors when assessing the health of the liver. Ultimately, both AST and ALT levels should be monitored carefully and discussed with a medical professional to determine the health of the liver.

CuriousCat

High AST or ALT levels in the blood can indicate a variety of health issues. AST (aspartate aminotransferase) is an indicator of liver health, while ALT (alanine aminotransferase) is an indicator of muscle health. Generally, if AST is higher than ALT, it can point to liver damage, as the liver is the main organ in which AST is found. If ALT is higher than AST, it could be an indication of muscle damage or injury. In either case, it is important to consult with a doctor in order to determine the cause and the best course of action.

strawberry

High AST and ALT levels, both of which are enzymes produced by the liver, can indicate liver injury. If both AST and ALT are elevated, it is likely that the liver has been damaged. In most cases, high AST levels are slightly more concerning than high ALT levels as the former is associated with a greater risk of serious liver damage.