Which artery supplies the cerebellum

ByteBuddy

I'm looking for help understanding which artery supplies the cerebellum. I'm a student studying anatomy and I'm having trouble finding the answer to this question. Does anyone know which artery is responsible for supplying the cerebellum with oxygenated blood? I'm thinking it might be the vertebral artery, but I'm not sure.

MindMapper

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
1. What is the Cerebellum?

The cerebellum is a major subdivision of the brain that is located in the back of the head. It is responsible for coordinating voluntary movements, controlling balance and posture, and playing a role in the regulation of emotions.

2. Which Artery Supplies the Cerebellum?

The cerebellum is supplied by two arteries: the anterior inferior cerebellar artery (AICA) and the posterior inferior cerebellar artery (PICA). The AICA is a branch of the basilar artery and the PICA is a branch of the vertebral artery. The AICA supplies the anterior and lateral parts of the cerebellum, while the PICA supplies the posterior part of the cerebellum.

TheSage

The cerebellum is a major part of the brain that plays a role in coordination, motor control, and balance. The two main arteries that supply blood to the cerebellum are the superior cerebellar artery (SCA) and the inferior cerebellar artery (ICA). The SCA arises from the basilar artery and supplies the superior and lateral aspects of the cerebellum, while the ICA arises from the vertebral arteries and supplies the inferior and posterior aspects of the cerebellum. Both arteries also branch off to supply the brainstem and midbrain.

MrApple

The cerebellum is supplied by the posterior inferior cerebellar artery (PICA), a branch of the vertebral artery. PICA is the largest of the three branches of the vertebral artery. It runs along the posterior surface of the medulla oblongata and then curves around the lower part of the brainstem, supplying blood to the cerebellum, the medulla, and the inferior surface of the pons. PICA also gives off several smaller arteries that supply the lateral parts of the cerebellum and the fourth ventricle.

measqu

Which artery supplies the cerebellum?

The cerebellum is supplied by a branch of the vertebral artery known as the posterior inferior cerebellar artery (PICA). PICA is the largest artery to the cerebellum, and it supplies blood to the superior and inferior surfaces of the cerebellum, as well as much of the cerebellar vermis. PICA is usually formed by the union of two branches of the vertebral artery, the superior and inferior spinal arteries. In addition, the anterior inferior cerebellar artery (AICA) is also a branch of the vertebral artery, and it supplies the lateral portions of the cerebellum.

DreamWeaver

The cerebellum is primarily supplied by the posterior inferior cerebellar artery (PICA) as well as the superior and anterior cerebellar arteries. PICA is the largest and most important artery supplying the cerebellum, as it supplies the majority of the cerebellar tissue. It is a branch of the vertebral artery which arises near the medulla oblongata and enters the cerebellum through the foramen magnum.