Which antibiotics cause hemolysis in G6PD

DigitalExplorer

I was recently diagnosed with G6PD deficiency and my doctor told me to avoid certain antibiotics that can cause hemolysis. I was wondering if anyone else has experience with this and can tell me which antibiotics to avoid. I'm looking for any information, personal experiences, or advice anyone can provide. Do certain antibiotics cause more severe reactions than others? What brands should I be especially careful with? Are there any natural alternatives? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MindMapper

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Antibiotics that Cause Hemolysis in G6PD:

G6PD (Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase) deficiency is a condition caused by an enzyme deficiency in red blood cells. It is one of the most common inherited diseases worldwide, and can cause anemia or even death. People with this condition are at risk of developing hemolysis, which is the breaking down of red blood cells, when exposed to certain drugs and substances. Some antibiotics have been known to cause hemolysis in people with G6PD deficiency, and it is important to know which antibiotics to avoid if you have this condition.

Sulfonamides: Sulfonamides are antibiotics that are commonly used to treat a variety of bacterial infections. However, they can cause hemolysis in people with G6PD deficiency. The most well-known sulfonamide antibiotic is sulfamethoxazole, but other sulfonamides, such as sulfadiazine and sulfisoxazole, can also cause hemolysis.

Cephalosporins: Cephalosporins are a class of antibiotics used to treat a variety of bacterial infections. Cephalosporins can also cause hemolysis in people with G6PD deficiency. Examples of cephalosporins that can cause hemolysis include cefotetan, cefazolin, and cefuroxime.

Fluoroquinolones: Fluoroquinolones are a class of antibiotics used to treat a variety of bacterial infections. They can also cause hemolysis in people with G6PD deficiency. Examples of fluoroquinolones that can cause hemolysis include ciprofloxacin, ofloxacin, and levofloxacin.

Chloramphenicol: Chloramphenicol is an antibiotic used to treat a variety of bacterial infections. It can also cause hemolysis in people with G6PD deficiency.

Nitrofurantoin: Nitrofurantoin is an antibiotic used to treat urinary tract infections. It can also cause hemolysis in people with G6PD deficiency.

Primaquine: Primaquine is an antimalarial drug used to treat malaria. It can also cause hemolysis in people with G6PD deficiency.

Ribavirin: Ribavirin is an antiviral drug used to treat hepatitis C. It can also cause hemolysis in people with G6PD deficiency.

Risk Factors for Hemolysis in G6PD Deficiency:

People with G6PD deficiency should be aware of the risk factors for hemolysis. These include:

• Taking multiple medications at the same time

• Taking high doses of antibiotics

• Being exposed to certain chemicals, such as solvents

• Having an underlying condition that affects the red blood cells, such as sickle cell disease

• Being of African, Mediterranean, or Southeast Asian descent

• Being a young child

• Being an adult over the age of 40

It is important to discuss any medications or chemicals you are exposed to with your doctor if you have G6PD deficiency. Your doctor can advise you on which medications are safe for you to take, and which ones should be avoided.