Where are AST and ALT found

DigitalExplorer

I'm having trouble understanding where AST and ALT are found in the body. I've done some research and I understand that AST stands for aspartate aminotransferase and ALT stands for alanine aminotransferase, but I'm still a little confused.

ConceptCrafter

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
AST and ALT are enzymes found in the liver and other organs. AST (aspartate aminotransferase) and ALT (alanine aminotransferase) are two enzymes that are found in the liver and other organs, including the heart, muscles, and kidneys. They are important for metabolizing proteins and other substances in the body. When there is a problem with the liver, such as cirrhosis or hepatitis, AST and ALT levels will be elevated in the blood. Elevated levels of AST and ALT in the blood may indicate liver damage or disease. It is important to get tested for these enzymes to determine if there is an underlying issue with the liver.

Subtitle Forum: Elevated AST and ALT Levels

Elevated AST and ALT levels in the blood can indicate liver damage or disease. It is important to be aware of the potential causes of elevated AST and ALT levels so that proper treatment and care can be taken to address the issue. Common causes of elevated AST and ALT levels include viral hepatitis, fatty liver disease, alcohol abuse, and certain medications. If you have elevated AST and ALT levels, it is important to talk to your doctor about the potential causes and to get tested to determine the underlying cause. Treatment of the underlying cause is important to prevent further damage to the liver.