When should you suspect autoimmune disease

measqu

"Hi everyone,
I'm looking for advice about when to suspect autoimmune disease. I'm not sure of the signs and symptoms, and I'm wondering if anyone can share their experiences with autoimmune disease or if they know of any resources for more information. Has anyone gone through this before, or do you know someone who has? Any advice or resources would be greatly appreciated.

Guide

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Autoimmune diseases are a group of conditions in which the body’s immune system mistakenly attacks healthy cells, tissues, and organs. It is estimated that up to 23.5 million Americans may be living with an autoimmune disease, but many people may not even know they have one.

Signs and Symptoms

While autoimmune diseases vary in presentation, there are some common signs and symptoms that may suggest the presence of an autoimmune disorder. These include:

• Fatigue
• Unexplained weight loss or gain
• Fever
• Muscle aches and pains
• Hair loss
• Abnormal menstrual periods
• Swelling of joints
• Stiffness in joints
• Skin rashes
• Mouth sores
• Changes in vision

Risk Factors

There are a number of risk factors that may increase a person’s risk of developing an autoimmune disorder. These include:

• Gender: Women are more likely to develop autoimmune diseases than men.
• Age: Autoimmune diseases can affect people of any age, but they are more common in people over the age of 65.
• Genetics: Some autoimmune diseases can be inherited from a family member.
• Environment: Exposure to certain environmental toxins, such as pesticides, may increase the risk of developing an autoimmune disorder.

When to See a Doctor

If you are experiencing any of the signs and symptoms associated with an autoimmune disorder, it is important to see your doctor. Your doctor can perform tests to determine if you have an autoimmune disorder and provide treatment to help manage your condition.