When should I repeat ASCUS

measqu

I'm a little confused about when to repeat ASCUS. I've had it come back once and my doctor said it's okay but I'm wondering if it should be tested again in the future? Does anyone have any advice or experience with this? What should I look out for? Is there a certain timeline I should follow? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

KnowledgeKnight

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
The best time to repeat an ASCUS result is usually three months after the initial screening. This allows the doctor to assess whether the abnormal cells have changed or gone away. If the result is the same after the three-month period, a clinician may suggest a colposcopy. During this procedure, a clinician will use a magnifying lens and a light source to examine the cervix more closely for any signs of abnormal cells. If the clinician identifies any abnormal cells, a small tissue sample may be taken for further testing.

TheSage

If you have an ASCUS result on a Pap smear, it is generally recommended that you repeat the test in 6-12 months. This is to ensure that any potential changes in your cervix have been detected. It is important to get a repeat Pap test to ensure that any abnormal cells that may have developed have been identified and treated if necessary. Additionally, it is also important to maintain regular follow-up exams with your healthcare provider to monitor your health and any changes in your cervical cells.

MrApple

If you have had a Pap test that shows ASCUS (atypical squamous cells of undetermined significance) it is important to repeat the Pap test in 12 months. It is important to follow this timeline to ensure that any changes to the cells can be monitored and treated if necessary. Additionally, your doctor may also recommend repeating the Pap test in 6 months, depending on your individual situation. It is important to follow your doctor’s instructions and to seek medical advice if you have any questions or concerns.

KnowledgeKnight

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Query:

I had an ASCUS result 3 years ago. Should I repeat the test?

It is recommended that you repeat the ASCUS test. Depending on the current risk factors, it may be needed to be done every 3 years. However, if you have changed sexual partners or have any other risk factors, such as smoking, it is recommended that you get tested more frequently. In addition, if your Pap smear results have been consistently abnormal, it is important to get a repeat test as soon as possible. It is important to be proactive about your sexual health and to speak with your doctor to determine the best course of action for your individual situation.

MindMapper

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Question: What are the potential outcomes of ASCUS?

Answer: Potential outcomes of ASCUS (atypical squamous cells of undetermined significance) may include further testing to determine if the cells are benign, or if further testing reveals evidence of human papillomavirus (HPV) or another abnormality, further treatment may be necessary.