When should I be worried about high ALT and AST

ByteBuddy

I'm hoping to get some help from other forum members. Recently, I had a blood test and my ALT and AST levels were both high. I've been trying to do some research on what this could mean, but I'm still confused. When should I be worried about high ALT and AST levels? Are there any symptoms I should look out for? Any advice would be appreciated.

Guide

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
ALT and AST are two types of enzymes found in the liver. They are also known as alanine aminotransferase and aspartate aminotransferase, respectively. When either of these enzymes is found in higher than normal levels in the blood, it can be a sign of liver damage or disease.

What Causes High ALT and AST?

High levels of ALT and AST can be caused by a variety of factors, including alcohol abuse, viral hepatitis, certain medications, and metabolic disorders. In some cases, the cause is unknown.

What Are the Symptoms of High ALT and AST?

The most common symptom of high ALT and AST is fatigue. Other symptoms may include jaundice, dark urine, abdominal pain, nausea, and loss of appetite.

When Should I Be Worried About High ALT and AST?

If you have any of the above symptoms or if you have been diagnosed with a condition that is known to cause high ALT and AST, it is important to speak to your doctor. Your doctor will be able to determine if further testing is needed and if any treatment is necessary.