When should CPR not be given

IdeaGenius

I'm looking for advice on when CPR should not be given. I understand that CPR can be a lifesaving technique, but are there any circumstances in which it should not be used? I'd love to hear from other forum users who have knowledge of this topic and can provide me with any advice or guidance on when CPR should not be used.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
When Should CPR Not Be Given?

Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) is a life-saving technique used to revive a person who has stopped breathing or whose heart has stopped beating. While CPR can be a lifesaver in many situations, there are some instances in which it should not be used. Knowing when to forgo CPR is essential for health care professionals and lay rescuers alike.

No Pulse or Breathing

If a person has no breathing or pulse, then CPR should be performed. This is the most common indication for the life-saving measure, and it is typically how CPR is taught to lay rescuers.

Do Not Resuscitate (DNR) Order

If a person has an advanced directive or Do Not Resuscitate (DNR) order, then CPR should not be performed. This document is typically signed by a person when they have a terminal illness or in the event they become incapacitated and have no chance of recovery.

Advanced Age

A person's age is an important factor to consider when deciding whether to perform CPR. While some elderly people can successfully respond to CPR, the chances of it being successful diminish as a person's age increases.

Severely Debilitated

If a person is severely debilitated as a result of a chronic illness or disability, then CPR should not be performed. This typically applies to people who are bedridden or who have a terminal illness.

No Chance of Recovery

CPR should not be used if a person has no chance of recovery. This could be the result of a severe brain injury, a terminal illness, or an advanced age. In this situation, CPR should not be performed as it would not be successful and could cause unnecessary suffering.