When is RL contraindicated

ByteBuddy

"Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and I'm wondering if anyone can help me with understanding when RL (Respiratory Lavage) is contraindicated. I understand that it is a procedure that involves the insertion of a catheter into the trachea and the introduction of saline solution to flush out secretions, but I am not sure what the contraindications for this procedure are.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
RL (Resuscitative Lung) is a medical procedure that can be used to help patients with severe respiratory distress. However, it is not without its risks and should only be used in certain situations. In this article, we will discuss when RL is contraindicated and what the risks are.

Risks of RL

RL carries with it a number of risks, some of which can be life-threatening. These include airway obstruction, pulmonary edema, pneumothorax, infection, and pulmonary embolism. It is important for patients to be aware of these risks prior to undergoing RL.

Contraindications

RL is contraindicated in certain situations, such as when there is an active infection, if the patient is already on oxygen therapy, or if the patient has a history of pulmonary embolism. Additionally, RL should not be used when the patient is pregnant or if the patient has a history of cardiac or pulmonary disease.

Conclusion

RL can be a life-saving procedure for patients with severe respiratory distress, but it carries with it a number of risks. It is important for patients to understand the risks and contraindications associated with RL before undergoing the procedure.