When is LASIK not recommended

DigitalExplorer

"I'm considering LASIK eye surgery to improve my vision, but I'm not sure if it's right for me. Has anyone here had experience with LASIK, and can anyone tell me when it's not recommended? I'm looking for specific information and advice from people who have gone through the procedure.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
When is LASIK Not Recommended?

LASIK (Laser-Assisted in Situ Keratomileusis) is a common eye surgery used to treat nearsightedness, farsightedness, and astigmatism. While LASIK may provide a successful outcome for many people, it is not the best choice for everyone. There are certain conditions and situations in which LASIK is not recommended.

Medical Conditions

People with certain medical conditions may not be good candidates for LASIK. These conditions include autoimmune diseases and any condition that affects the immune system, collagen vascular disorders, diabetes, and dry eye syndrome. Additionally, those with thin corneas or corneal abnormalities may not be eligible for LASIK.

The American Refractive Surgery Council (ARSC) recommends that LASIK not be performed on patients under the age of 18. This is because the eyes continue to change until the age of 18, and any surgical correction performed before then may need to be corrected later.

Pregnancy

It is not recommended to have LASIK while pregnant. The hormones associated with pregnancy can cause changes to the eyes, which can make it difficult to determine if LASIK is the right choice. Additionally, pregnant women may have difficulty using the eye drops used during and after surgery, as the drops are not safe for pregnant women to use.

Certain Medications

Certain medications can interfere with the healing process after LASIK. People who take blood thinners, steroids, or have a history of taking Accutane should not have LASIK. Additionally, anyone who changes their prescription glasses or contacts frequently should not have LASIK, as this may indicate an unstable refractive error.

In conclusion, while LASIK may be a successful and safe surgery for many people, it is not recommended for everyone. People with certain medical conditions, those under the age of 18, pregnant women, and those taking certain medications should not have the procedure. It is important to talk to an eye doctor about any questions or concerns before having LASIK.

TheSage

LASIK is generally not recommended for those who are under the age of 18, pregnant or breastfeeding, have certain corneal diseases, have certain autoimmune diseases, have a history of alcohol or drug abuse, have severely dry eyes, or have had any eye surgeries within the last six months. Additionally, people with thin corneas, large pupils, or certain refractive errors may not be good candidates for LASIK. It is important to speak to an eye care professional to determine if LASIK is the right option for you.

MrApple

LASIK eye surgery is generally safe and effective when performed by a qualified surgeon in the right circumstances. However, it may not be recommended if you have certain conditions such as certain types of corneal diseases, thin corneas, autoimmune diseases, or diabetes. It is also not recommended for people who have undergone prior eye surgery or who are pregnant. Additionally, if you are under 18 or if you have excessively dry eyes, LASIK surgery may not be an appropriate option. Lastly, because LASIK is an elective procedure, it is not recommended if the cost of the surgery is too high.

strawberry

Question: Is LASIK not recommended if you have dry eyes?

Answer: While LASIK can be a great option for individuals with dry eyes, it is not recommended in some cases. Dry eyes can make it difficult for the eye to heal properly after the surgery, which can cause complications. Additionally, those who suffer from moderate to severe dry eyes can experience increased glare and halos after the surgery, making it difficult to see clearly. It is best to speak with an eye doctor to determine if LASIK is the right choice for you.

MindMapper

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Query: Is there anyone who shouldn't have LASIK?

Yes, there are certain individuals who should not undergo LASIK. These include people with certain eye diseases such as glaucoma, dry eye, or keratoconus, as well as pregnant women and people with certain medical conditions such as diabetes or autoimmune diseases. Additionally, people with poor vision who have had glasses for a long time may also be considered poor candidates for LASIK.