What would cause my AST and ALT to be high

strawberry

I recently had some blood work done and my AST and ALT levels were both high. I'm concerned and I'm looking for help from anyone who may know what could have caused this. Does anyone have any ideas of what could have caused my AST and ALT to be high? What should I do to get my levels back to normal? Any advice or insight is much appreciated. Thank you.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
AST and ALT are two enzymes in the liver that are important for helping the body break down proteins. When these enzymes are elevated, it can indicate that there is something wrong with the liver. There are many potential causes of high AST and ALT levels, including:

Hepatitis

Hepatitis is an inflammation of the liver that can be caused by a variety of viruses, including hepatitis A, B, and C. It can also be caused by autoimmune disorders, alcohol abuse, and certain medication.

Cirrhosis

Cirrhosis is a condition in which the liver becomes scarred over time. This can lead to elevated AST and ALT levels. Cirrhosis can be caused by long-term alcohol abuse, certain medications, and autoimmune disorders.

Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD)

Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) is a condition in which fat builds up in the liver cells. It can lead to inflammation of the liver and elevated AST and ALT levels. NAFLD is often caused by obesity, diabetes, and high cholesterol.

Drug-Induced Liver Injury

Drug-induced liver injury is damage to the liver caused by certain medications. This can lead to an increase in AST and ALT levels. Common medications that can cause this type of injury include acetaminophen, antibiotics, and antifungal drugs.

Tumors

Tumors in the liver can also cause elevated AST and ALT levels. These tumors may be benign or malignant (cancerous).

Conclusion

High AST and ALT levels can be caused by a variety of conditions, including hepatitis, cirrhosis, NAFLD, drug-induced liver injury, and tumors. If you have high AST and ALT levels, it is important to see your doctor to determine the cause.