What worsens iron absorption

measqu

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for help understanding what worsens iron absorption. I'm trying to learn more about the different factors that can influence iron absorption in the body, and I'm wondering if anyone has insight into what can make it worse. I'd appreciate any suggestions or advice you might have.

ConceptCrafter

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Reduced Stomach Acid

Stomach acid is essential for the proper absorption of iron. Low stomach acid, or hypochlorhydria, can reduce the body's ability to absorb iron. Hypochlorhydria can be caused by conditions such as Helicobacter pylori infection, autoimmune gastritis, and use of proton pump inhibitors (PPIs).

Foods Containing Calcium and Phytic Acid

Calcium and phytic acid, also known as phytates, can interfere with iron absorption. Calcium can bind to iron in the digestive tract and prevent its absorption. Phytic acid can bind to iron and other minerals, making them unavailable for absorption. Foods high in calcium and phytic acid include dairy products, whole grains, legumes, and nuts.

Inadequate Vitamin C Intake

Vitamin C aids in the absorption of iron. If vitamin C intake is inadequate, iron absorption may be reduced. Sources of vitamin C include citrus fruits, peppers, cruciferous vegetables, and tomatoes.

Cooking Methods

Cooking food in a cast-iron skillet can increase the amount of iron in food, but it can also reduce the body's ability to absorb the iron. This is because the heat from the skillet can bind the iron to the skillet and reduce the amount of iron available for absorption.