What were your first signs of cystic fibrosis

DigitalExplorer

Hello everyone! I'm new here and would really appreciate some help. I was recently diagnosed with cystic fibrosis and am wondering if anyone else has gone through the same experience. What were your first signs of the disease? How did you know something was wrong? I'm looking for any advice or tips on how to manage the condition and would really appreciate any help.

TechJunkie

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Signs and Symptoms of Cystic Fibrosis

The most common signs and symptoms of cystic fibrosis are related to the lungs and digestive system. These can include:

Coughing: Persistent coughing with thick mucus

Wheezing: Labored breathing with a whistling sound

Shortness of breath: Difficulty breathing due to thick mucus

Frequent respiratory infections: Recurrent infections in the lungs and sinuses

Poor growth: Failure to gain weight and grow at a normal rate

Excessive salt in the sweat: Salt levels in the sweat that are higher than normal

Frequent greasy, bulky stools: Abnormal stools that are greasy and difficult to flush away

Foul-smelling stools: Stool that has an unpleasant odor

Chronic constipation: Difficulty passing stool due to thick mucus in the intestines

Abdominal pain: Pain in the abdomen due to thick mucus in the intestines

Liver disease: Liver damage due to blockage of the bile ducts

Infertility: Men with cystic fibrosis may have difficulty fathering a child.

TheSage

My first signs of cystic fibrosis were recurrent respiratory infections, frequent coughing, shortness of breath, and a persistent salty taste in my mouth. I also had a very poor appetite and weight loss despite eating plenty of food. My doctor eventually ordered a sweat test which confirmed my cystic fibrosis diagnosis. From there, I began a course of treatment that included medications, chest physiotherapy, and a special diet to help reduce the symptoms.

MrApple

My first signs of cystic fibrosis were persistent coughing and chest infections. I was born with the condition, so I had these symptoms from a very young age. Over time, I noticed that I was also having difficulty breathing, with a persistent shortness of breath even after light exercise. I was also having a lot of difficulty gaining weight, even though I was eating a balanced diet. These signs were the first indications that I had cystic fibrosis.

DreamWeaver

"I was diagnosed at birth with cystic fibrosis, but I'm not sure what my first signs were. Can anyone share their experience?"

The most common early signs of cystic fibrosis are recurrent chest infections, persistent coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath, increased mucus production, poor growth, and salty-tasting skin. In some cases, signs may be more subtle and may include reduced appetite, malabsorption of nutrients, and fatigue. If you're unsure what your first signs were, it may be helpful to talk to your doctor or a healthcare professional who was present at your birth. They may be able to provide a better understanding of what you experienced and provide further information about your diagnosis.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
"My son was recently diagnosed with cystic fibrosis. What were some of the first signs?"

The most common initial signs of cystic fibrosis in children are persistent coughing or wheezing, poor growth or weight gain, frequent lung or sinus infections, salty-tasting skin, and very greasy, bulky stools. Other signs that may appear later on include difficulty gaining weight, frequent chest colds, shortness of breath, and clubbing of fingers or toes.