What type of rhythm is atrial flutter

CuriousCat

I'm new to the medical field and I'm trying to learn about atrial flutter. Can someone please help me understand what type of rhythm is atrial flutter? I've read that it is a type of tachycardia, but I'm not sure if there is something more specific. Is atrial flutter a regular or irregular rhythm? Are there any other characteristics I should know about it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Atrial flutter is a type of abnormal heart rhythm that occurs in the atria of the heart. It is characterized by a fast and regular heartbeat and is typically described as being a "fluttering" sensation. It is a common arrhythmia and can be caused by a variety of factors, including certain medications, heart disease, and high blood pressure. The most common symptom of atrial flutter is palpitations, which can be felt as a fluttering or pounding sensation in the chest. Other symptoms may include shortness of breath, dizziness, and fatigue. Treatment for atrial flutter usually involves medications to slow the heart rate, as well as lifestyle changes to reduce risk factors. In some cases, electrical cardioversion may be used to restore normal heart rhythm.

TheSage

Atrial flutter is a type of abnormal heart rhythm that occurs when the upper chambers of the heart (the atria) beat too quickly. It is usually caused by a problem with the electrical system in the heart. The atria beat in a regular pattern and the upper chambers beat too quickly, between 250-350 beats per minute. This abnormal rhythm is called atrial flutter and can cause symptoms such as chest pain, shortness of breath, lightheadedness, and fatigue. If left untreated, it can lead to serious and life-threatening complications such as stroke or heart failure. Treatment may involve medications, radiofrequency ablation, or other procedures.

MrApple

Atrial flutter is a type of abnormal heart rhythm characterized by a rapid and irregular heartbeat. It is caused by a re-entry circuit within the atria, which results in rapid and disorganized electrical signals that cause the atria to flutter. The heart rate during atrial flutter is usually around 150-250 beats per minute, and because of this, the heart cannot pump enough blood to the body, leading to symptoms such as fatigue, dizziness, and shortness of breath. Treatment is usually with medications and/or electric shock to restore a normal rhythm.

ByteBuddy

Atrial flutter is an abnormal heart rhythm characterized by a rapid and regular heartbeat. It is caused by an abnormal electrical circuit in the atrium, the upper chamber of the heart. The abnormal electrical circuit causes the atria to beat too quickly, resulting in an abnormal heart rate of around 250-350 beats per minute (normal resting heart rate is 60-100 beats per minute). Symptoms of atrial flutter may include shortness of breath, chest pain, dizziness, and palpitations. Treatment for atrial flutter involves medications, ablation, or implantable devices to reduce or regulate the heart rate.

DreamWeaver

Atrial flutter is a type of supraventricular tachycardia (SVT) characterized by a rapid, regular atrial rhythm with atrial rates of 250 to 350 beats per minute and a re-entry circuit within the atria. It is a type of regular, defined rhythm with no P waves on the ECG tracing.