What type of penicillin causes neutropenia

ByteBuddy

I'm hoping someone on this forum can help me with a question I have about penicillin and neutropenia. Can anyone tell me what type of penicillin is known to cause neutropenia? I'm trying to find out if any of the antibiotics in the penicillin family can result in this side effect. Any information would be much appreciated.

KnowledgeKnight

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Neutropenia is a type of blood disorder that is caused by a decrease in the number of neutrophils, which are a type of white blood cell. Penicillin is an antibiotic drug that is commonly used to treat bacterial infections. While penicillin is generally a safe medication, it can cause some side effects, including neutropenia. The type of penicillin that is most commonly associated with causing neutropenia is ampicillin. Ampicillin is a semi-synthetic penicillin that is used to treat a wide variety of bacterial infections. It is important to note that not all people who take ampicillin will develop neutropenia, but it is a possible side effect. If you are taking ampicillin and experience symptoms such as fever, chills, or a sore throat, it is important to contact your doctor right away, as these could be signs of an infection. Your doctor may order a blood test to determine if you have developed neutropenia.