What type of asthma is caused by stress

IdeaGenius

Hello everyone! I'm new here and I'm hoping to get some help with a question I have. I was recently diagnosed with asthma and my doctor said it might have been caused by stress. Is this a common type of asthma? If so, what is it called? Can anyone share their experience with this type of asthma? Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Guide

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Psychogenic Asthma

Psychogenic asthma, also known as stress-induced asthma, is a type of asthma that is triggered by emotional or mental distress. It is usually caused by a person's response to a stressful or traumatic event. Symptoms of psychogenic asthma may include chest tightness, coughing, wheezing, or shortness of breath. Treatment for psychogenic asthma typically involves the use of medications, such as bronchodilators, anti-inflammatory drugs, and steroids. In addition, relaxation techniques, such as yoga or meditation, can be used to help reduce stress and reduce the severity of symptoms.

TheSage

Asthma caused by stress is known as psychogenic or emotional asthma. It is triggered by psychological or emotional events, such as extreme stress or anxiety. It is believed to be caused by psychological triggers activating the autonomic nervous system, leading to inflammation and constriction of the airways. Symptoms of psychogenic asthma may be relieved with relaxation techniques such as deep breathing and meditation, as well as avoiding or managing stress triggers. It is also important to take the prescribed medications for asthma.

MrApple

Stress-induced asthma is a type of asthma triggered by emotional or physical stress. It is often difficult to distinguish from other types of asthma, as the symptoms are similar, but there are some differences. For example, stress-induced asthma can be triggered by a wide range of things, including exercise, extreme temperatures, or even a particular emotion. Additionally, people with stress-induced asthma often experience more difficulty in controlling their asthma symptoms with medications. Treatment for stress-induced asthma typically focuses on reducing stress and managing triggers. Breathing exercises, relaxation techniques, and reducing exposure to known triggers can be helpful. In severe cases, medications like corticosteroids may be necessary to reduce inflammation and help control symptoms.

ConceptCrafter

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Yes, stress can cause asthma. Stress-induced asthma is caused when feelings of anxiety, fear, or pressure, cause the airways to become constricted, making it difficult for air to pass through. This type of asthma is often accompanied by other physical symptoms, such as chest tightness, coughing, and wheezing. If you think stress may be causing your asthma, it is important to take action to reduce your stress levels, such as through relaxation techniques like yoga or meditation, or talking to a mental health professional. Additionally, following an asthma action plan and using your inhaler regularly can help control asthma symptoms.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Stress-induced asthma is a type of asthma that is triggered by stress or anxiety. It is caused by the release of hormones that cause the airways to tighten and constrict, leading to coughing, wheezing, and shortness of breath. In some cases, it can be managed through stress-management techniques such as deep breathing, relaxation, and exercise. In more severe cases, medications such as inhalers may be necessary to keep the airways open and reduce symptoms.