What type of anemia is thalassemia

DigitalExplorer

I'm looking for help understanding what type of anemia is thalassemia. From what I've read, it can be either alpha or beta thalassemia, but I'm still not clear on the differences.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Thalassemia is a type of anemia caused by genetic mutations that affect the production of hemoglobin. Hemoglobin is an important protein found in red blood cells and is responsible for transporting oxygen around the body. When hemoglobin production is affected, the body cannot make enough red blood cells, leading to a decrease in oxygen-carrying capacity and causing anemia. Thalassemia is classified into two main types: alpha thalassemia and beta thalassemia.

Alpha Thalassemia

Alpha thalassemia is caused by mutations in the alpha globin genes. These mutations can cause either a lack of alpha globin production (alpha thalassemia silent carrier) or a complete absence of alpha globin production (alpha thalassemia major). Alpha thalassemia silent carrier typically does not cause any symptoms, while alpha thalassemia major can cause severe anemia and require regular blood transfusions.

Beta Thalassemia

Beta thalassemia is caused by mutations in the beta globin genes. These mutations can cause either a lack of beta globin production (beta thalassemia minor) or a complete absence of beta globin production (beta thalassemia major). Beta thalassemia minor typically does not cause any symptoms, while beta thalassemia major can cause severe anemia and require regular blood transfusions.