What type of anemia is AIHA

DreamWeaver

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and I wanted to ask for some help. I am trying to learn more about what type of anemia is AIHA. I know that AIHA stands for Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia but I'm not sure what type of anemia it is. Can anyone help me out? I would really appreciate it if someone could explain it to me in simple terms.

KnowledgeKnight

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
AIHA stands for Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia, which is a type of anemia caused by the body’s immune system attacking its own red blood cells. It is an acquired disorder, meaning it is not inherited. AIHA is caused by the body producing antibodies that attack and destroy its own red blood cells. This causes anemia, which is characterized by a reduction in the number of red blood cells, as well as a decrease in hemoglobin, the protein found in red blood cells that carries oxygen. AIHA can be classified as either warm-reactive AIHA (WARA) or cold-reactive AIHA (CARA). WARA is triggered by exposure to warm temperatures, while CARA is triggered by exposure to cold temperatures. Symptoms of AIHA include fatigue, paleness, jaundice, shortness of breath, and an enlarged spleen. Treatment for AIHA typically includes medications to suppress the immune system, as well as transfusions of red blood cells.