What to avoid in allergic rhinitis

measqu

"Hi everyone, I'm new here and I'm looking for some advice. I have allergic rhinitis and I'm wondering what I should be avoiding to help with my symptoms? Does anyone have any experience with this and could give me some tips? I'm open to any advice and would really appreciate the help.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Allergens to Avoid

Allergic rhinitis, also known as hay fever, is an inflammatory condition of the nose and eyes caused by exposure to allergens. The most common allergens that cause allergic rhinitis include dust mites, pet dander, pollen, and mold. To reduce symptoms, it is important to avoid contact with these allergens.

Dust mites are tiny organisms that live in dust and feed off of skin cells shed by humans and animals. Dust mites are present in most homes and can be found in carpets, bedding, and upholstered furniture. To reduce exposure to dust mites, regularly wash bedding in hot water and vacuum carpets and furniture frequently.

Pet dander is microscopic bits of skin shed by animals. It can be found in the fur of cats, dogs, and other animals. To reduce exposure to pet dander, keep pets out of the bedroom and off of furniture, and bathe them regularly.

Pollen is a fine powder released by plants during the blooming season. Pollen particles can travel long distances and are often found in the air during the spring and summer months. To reduce exposure to pollen, stay indoors when pollen levels are high and keep windows and doors closed.

Mold is a type of fungus that can be found indoors and outdoors. It thrives in warm, humid environments, such as bathrooms and basements. To reduce exposure to mold, reduce humidity levels in the home and clean and repair any water damage promptly.

Medications to Avoid

Certain medications can worsen the symptoms of allergic rhinitis. These include over-the-counter (OTC) decongestants, antihistamines, and combination medications that contain decongestants and antihistamines. In addition, intranasal corticosteroids (such as fluticasone and mometasone) should be avoided if there is a history of nasal allergies.

Other Strategies to Reduce Symptoms

In addition to avoiding allergens and medications, there are several other strategies to reduce the symptoms of allergic rhinitis. These include wearing a mask while outdoors, regularly washing clothing and bedding, using air conditioning, and avoiding exposure to smoke and other irritants.

By following these strategies, people with allergic rhinitis can reduce the severity of their symptoms and improve their quality of life.