What things should be avoided during anemia

CuriousCat

I'm looking for advice from anyone who has experienced anemia or knows someone who has. What things should I avoid during anemia? I'm especially interested in dietary choices and lifestyle changes that can make a difference in my health. I would love to hear advice from others who have gone through the same thing and what they found to be the most helpful.

ConceptCrafter

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Avoiding Foods High in Iron

It is important to avoid foods high in iron when living with anemia, as they can interfere with the body's ability to absorb iron from other sources. Foods high in iron include red meat, organ meats, shellfish, dark leafy greens, nuts and seeds, beans, lentils, and fortified cereals. Iron supplements should also be avoided.

Avoiding Foods High in Vitamin C

It is important to avoid foods high in vitamin C when living with anemia, as they can interfere with the body's ability to absorb iron from other sources. Foods high in vitamin C include citrus fruits, strawberries, bell peppers, broccoli, kiwi, and tomatoes. Vitamin C supplements should also be avoided.

Avoiding Alcohol and Caffeine

Alcohol and caffeine should be avoided when living with anemia, as they can interfere with the body's ability to absorb iron from other sources. Alcohol and caffeine can also cause dehydration, which can worsen anemia symptoms.

Avoiding Over-the-Counter Medications

Over-the-counter medications should be avoided when living with anemia, as they can interfere with the body's ability to absorb iron from other sources. These medications can include antacids, calcium supplements, and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).