What tests detect hemolytic anemia

strawberry

I was recently diagnosed with hemolytic anemia and I'm looking for more information about what tests are available to detect it. Can anyone help me out? I'm hoping to find out what types of tests are available, how they are performed, and what results I can expect. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

TechJunkie

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
What Tests Detect Hemolytic Anemia?

Hemolytic anemia is a condition in which the red blood cells are destroyed prematurely. It can be caused by a variety of things, including infections, toxins, autoimmune disorders, and certain medications. The diagnosis of hemolytic anemia is based on the patient's medical history and physical examination, as well as laboratory tests.

Complete Blood Count (CBC)

The most common test used to diagnose hemolytic anemia is a complete blood count (CBC). A CBC measures the number of red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets in the blood. It also measures the amount of hemoglobin, which is the protein in red blood cells that carries oxygen. A decrease in red blood cells, hemoglobin, and hematocrit (the proportion of red blood cells to the total volume of blood) are signs of anemia.

Reticulocyte Count

A reticulocyte count is a test that measures the number of immature red blood cells in the blood. In hemolytic anemia, the body is unable to keep up with the destruction of red blood cells, and the reticulocyte count is usually elevated.

Peripheral Blood Smear

A peripheral blood smear is a microscopic examination of the blood that can detect changes in the shape and size of red blood cells. In hemolytic anemia, red blood cells may be smaller than normal (microcytic), larger than normal (macrocytic), or have an irregular shape (poikilocytosis).

Coomb's Test

The Coomb's test is used to detect antibodies that are attacking red blood cells. These antibodies can be seen as clumps of red blood cells on the slide when they are mixed with the patient's blood sample.

Lactate Dehydrogenase (LDH) Test

The lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) test measures the amount of an enzyme called LDH in the blood. This enzyme is released into the bloodstream when red blood cells are destroyed. An elevated LDH level is a sign of hemolytic anemia.

Haptoglobin Test

The haptoglobin test measures the amount of a protein called haptoglobin in the blood. Haptoglobin binds to free hemoglobin that is released when red blood cells are destroyed. An elevated haptoglobin level is a sign of hemolytic anemia.