What tests are done for immune hemolytic anemia

CuriousCat

I'm looking for some help understanding tests for immune hemolytic anemia. I'm a little confused about what tests are used to diagnose this condition and what they involve. Can anyone provide information on what these tests look like and how they help diagnose immune hemolytic anemia? I'm hoping to get a better understanding of the tests and the diagnosis process, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

TechJunkie

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Immune hemolytic anemia is a condition where the body produces antibodies which attack and destroy its own red blood cells. Diagnosing this condition requires a variety of tests to confirm the diagnosis and identify the underlying cause.

Complete Blood Count (CBC)

A complete blood count (CBC) is a blood test that measures the amount of red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets. A CBC may reveal a decrease in red blood cells (anemia), an increase in the number of immature red blood cells (reticulocytosis), or an increase in the number of white blood cells (leukocytosis).

Blood Smear Test

A blood smear test is a type of laboratory test used to examine a sample of a person's blood under a microscope. The test may reveal signs of immune hemolytic anemia, such as the presence of red blood cells with a small, round shape (spherocytes) or cells with an uneven shape (schistocytes).

Direct Antiglobulin Test (DAT)

The direct antiglobulin test (DAT), also known as the direct Coombs test, is a test used to detect antibodies that are attached to red blood cells. In immune hemolytic anemia, the DAT test may be positive, indicating that antibodies are present.

Bone Marrow Biopsy

A bone marrow biopsy is a procedure used to remove a sample of bone marrow for examination. The sample can be used to identify any underlying conditions that may be causing the anemia, such as an infection, cancer, or a blood disorder.

Additional Tests

Additional tests may be performed to rule out other conditions or to identify the specific type of immune hemolytic anemia. These tests may include a complete urine analysis, a liver function test, and a serologic test to detect the presence of certain antibodies.