What should the nurse do for acute hemolytic transfusion reaction

CuriousCat

Hello everyone,

I'm a nurse and I'm looking for advice on what to do for an acute hemolytic transfusion reaction. Can anyone help me out? I've been researching the topic but I still have some questions. What would be the best way to recognize and manage this reaction? How do I ensure the patient's safety and comfort? Are there any specific treatments or protocols that I should follow?

I'd really appreciate any advice or tips that any of you might have.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Nurses play a vital role in responding to and managing acute hemolytic transfusion reactions (AHTRs). An AHTR is caused by the introduction of donor red blood cells (RBCs) that are incompatible with the recipient’s blood type. Upon recognition of an AHTR, immediate action must be taken by the nursing staff to ensure the safety of the patient.

Recognizing an Acute Hemolytic Transfusion Reaction

The nurse must be alert and attentive to the signs and symptoms of an AHTR. The most common signs and symptoms of an AHTR include fever, chills, tachycardia, hypotension, chest pain, back pain, nausea, vomiting, and dyspnea. The nurse should also monitor the patient’s laboratory values, such as complete blood count (CBC) and hemoglobin, to detect any changes in these values that may suggest the presence of an AHTR.

Managing an Acute Hemolytic Transfusion Reaction

If an AHTR is suspected or confirmed, the nurse should immediately stop the transfusion of the RBCs and notify the physician. The nurse should then initiate supportive care for the patient, such as administering intravenous fluids, oxygen, antihistamines, and analgesics, as directed by the physician. The nurse should also monitor the patient’s vital signs and laboratory values closely and report any changes to the physician.

Documenting an Acute Hemolytic Transfusion Reaction

The nurse should document all relevant information regarding the AHTR, including the patient’s signs and symptoms, laboratory values, medications administered, and any other interventions taken. It is also important for the nurse to document the amount of RBCs that were transfused prior to the reaction. This information can be used by the healthcare team to identify any potential causes of the reaction and to prevent similar reactions from occurring in the future.