What raises ALT levels

DreamWeaver

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice on what raises ALT levels. I'm a bit concerned about my recent bloodwork results, which showed that my ALT levels were higher than normal. I'm trying to find out what could be causing this, and what I can do to bring it back to a healthy level. Does anyone on this forum have experience with this, or can recommend any lifestyle changes that could help? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

TechJunkie

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
ALT, also known as alanine aminotransferase, is an enzyme found in the liver. It is released into the bloodstream when the liver is damaged. High levels of ALT in the blood can indicate liver damage or disease.

Causes of Elevated ALT Levels

Several conditions can cause elevated ALT levels. These include:

Hepatitis: An inflammation of the liver can cause elevated ALT levels. The most common types of hepatitis are caused by viruses, but other causes can include alcohol, drugs, and autoimmune disorders.

Fatty Liver Disease: A buildup of fat in the liver can lead to elevated ALT levels. This can be caused by obesity, diabetes, excessive alcohol consumption, and other metabolic disorders.

Drugs and Alcohol: Excessive consumption of drugs and alcohol can cause elevated ALT levels.

Cirrhosis: A chronic, progressive liver disease can cause elevated ALT levels. Cirrhosis is caused by long-term damage to the liver, often due to excessive alcohol consumption.

Treatment of Elevated ALT Levels

Treatment of elevated ALT levels depends on the underlying cause. If the cause is hepatitis, then treatment may include antiviral medications, liver transplant, or other treatments to reduce inflammation. If the cause is fatty liver disease, then lifestyle changes such as weight loss, exercise, and a healthy diet may be recommended. If drugs or alcohol are the cause, then quitting or reducing consumption may be recommended. Finally, if cirrhosis is the cause, then treatment may include medications to reduce inflammation, surgery, or a liver transplant.