What personality disorder is associated with ADHD

strawberry

Hello everyone! I am looking for help regarding a question I have about ADHD and personality disorders. I am wondering what personality disorder is associated with ADHD, if any? I have heard that there may be a connection between them, but I am not sure what it is. Does anyone here have any knowledge or experience with this topic that they could share? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
ADHD is commonly associated with the personality disorder known as oppositional defiant disorder (ODD). ODD is characterized by negative and defiant behaviors such as arguing, defying rules, being easily annoyed, being angry and resentful, and being vindictive. It is important to note that not all individuals with ADHD will have ODD, but it is a frequently occurring co-occurring disorder.

Signs and Symptoms of ODD

Those with ODD may have difficulty following instructions, be uncooperative or argumentative, and be easily angered. They may also be quick to blame others for their own mistakes or misbehavior. They may be touchy, resentful, and spiteful.

Treatment for ODD

Treatment for ODD typically involves both individual and family therapy. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) is often used to help individuals with ODD learn to manage their emotions and behaviors more effectively. Medication may also be prescribed to help reduce symptoms such as impulsivity and hyperactivity.