What percentage of serial killers have mental illness

IdeaGenius

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for help and information about the percentage of serial killers with mental illness. I'm aware that some serial killers have been diagnosed with mental illnesses, but I'm wondering what percentage of them actually have mental health issues. Does anyone have any insights into this topic or any resources I could look at to find out more?

I'd really appreciate any help or advice you can give me.

Guide

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Subtitle Forum

The question of what percentage of serial killers have mental illness is a complex one. While there is no definitive answer, research suggests that a majority of serial killers have some form of mental illness.

Psychopathy

Psychopathy is the most common mental illness linked to serial killers. It is characterized by a lack of empathy, impulsivity, and a disregard for social norms. Studies have found that between 40-80 percent of serial killers have psychopathy.

Antisocial Personality Disorder

Another mental illness commonly associated with serial killers is Antisocial Personality Disorder (ASPD). This disorder is characterized by a lack of remorse or guilt, disregard for others, and a disregard for the law. Studies have found that between 40-60 percent of serial killers have ASPD.

Other Mental Illnesses

In addition to psychopathy and ASPD, some serial killers have been diagnosed with other mental illnesses. These can include depression, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). While the exact percentage of serial killers with these disorders is unknown, research suggests that between 10-20 percent of serial killers have some form of mental illness other than psychopathy and ASPD.

Conclusion

Overall, research suggests that the majority of serial killers have some form of mental illness. While the exact percentage is unknown, studies have found that between 40-80 percent of serial killers have psychopathy and between 40-60 percent have ASPD. Additionally, between 10-20 percent of serial killers have some form of mental illness other than psychopathy and ASPD.