What pain reliever is good for pancreatitis

IdeaGenius

"Hi everyone, I'm looking for advice on what pain reliever is good for pancreatitis. I've had pancreatitis for a few years now and I'm looking for some relief. What have other people used to help with pain and what do you recommend? I'm open to any advice, so I'd really appreciate your help.

TechJunkie

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs)

Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are commonly used to treat acute pancreatitis pain. NSAIDs are available over-the-counter, or they can be prescribed by a doctor. Examples of NSAIDs include ibuprofen, naproxen, and aspirin.

It is important to note that NSAIDs should not be taken for more than two weeks. Long-term use of NSAIDs can increase the risk of bleeding in the pancreas. Additionally, NSAIDs can interfere with blood pressure medications and other medications, so you should talk to your doctor before taking NSAIDs.

Opioids

Opioids are a type of strong pain reliever that are usually prescribed for severe pain. Examples of opioids include fentanyl, oxycodone, and codeine. While opioids can be effective for severe pancreatitis pain, they can be addictive and have other side effects. Therefore, opioids are usually prescribed only for short-term use.

Antidepressants

Antidepressants are sometimes prescribed for chronic pancreatitis pain. Antidepressants work by reducing the sensation of pain and can also help with sleep. Commonly prescribed antidepressants include amitriptyline and duloxetine. It is important to note that it can take several weeks for antidepressants to take effect.

Corticosteroids

Corticosteroids are a type of medication that can be taken orally or injected directly into the pancreas. Corticosteroids can reduce inflammation in the pancreas, which can help to relieve pain. Commonly prescribed corticosteroids include prednisone and methylprednisolone.

Alternative Therapies

There are also a number of alternative therapies that can help to relieve pancreatitis pain. These therapies include acupuncture, massage, and yoga. It is important to talk to your doctor before trying any alternative therapies.