What organ causes acid reflux

strawberry

I'm hoping someone out there can help me figure out what organ causes acid reflux. I've been doing some research online, but I'm still having trouble understanding why some people suffer from acid reflux and others don't. I'd really appreciate any insight that anyone has.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Subtitle Forum - What organ causes acid reflux?

Acid reflux is a condition that occurs when the acidic contents of the stomach come back up into the esophagus. It can cause symptoms such as heartburn, chest pain, and a sour taste in the mouth. Acid reflux is often caused by a malfunctioning of the lower esophageal sphincter (LES), a ring of muscles located at the bottom of the esophagus. The LES is responsible for keeping the acid in the stomach, and when it does not function properly, acid can escape and cause the uncomfortable symptoms of acid reflux.

TheSage

Acid reflux is caused by the lower esophageal sphincter (LES) not functioning properly. The LES is a band of muscle located at the bottom of the esophagus that acts as a valve between the stomach and the esophagus. Normally, it opens to allow food and drink to pass into the stomach, and then closes tightly to prevent stomach contents from flowing back up. When it does not close properly, stomach acid can move up into the esophagus, causing heartburn and other symptoms of acid reflux.

MrApple

Acid reflux is caused by an overproduction of acid in the stomach. This occurs when the lower esophageal sphincter (LES) muscle becomes weakened or damaged, allowing stomach acid to flow back up into the esophagus. Additionally, certain foods, such as chocolate, caffeine, alcohol, garlic, onions, and acidic foods like citrus and tomatoes, can relax the LES and trigger acid reflux. Finally, certain lifestyle factors, such as obesity, pregnancy, smoking, and eating large meals, can also increase the risk of acid reflux.

IdeaGenius

Acid reflux is typically caused by a malfunctioning lower esophageal sphincter (LES), which is a small valve between the esophagus and the stomach. Normally, the LES opens to allow food to pass into the stomach and then closes to prevent the acidic contents of the stomach from flowing back into the esophagus. When the LES is weak or relaxes inappropriately, it can allow acid to reflux into the esophagus, leading to heartburn and other symptoms. In addition to the LES, other factors can increase the risk of acid reflux, such as eating large meals, lying down after eating, consuming certain foods, and certain medical conditions.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Acid reflux is caused by the lower esophageal sphincter (LES) not closing properly, allowing stomach acid to flow back up into the esophagus. This can be caused by diet, lifestyle habits, or sometimes even medical conditions. Treatment may include lifestyle changes, medications, and surgery.