What not to say to someone with multiple sclerosis

CuriousCat

"Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice on what not to say to someone with multiple sclerosis. I know that it's a serious and complex condition, and I want to make sure that I'm being respectful and understanding when talking to someone who is living with it. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on things that should be avoided when discussing this topic? Any help would be much appreciated.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
1. What Not to Say

• “It’s all in your head.” – Multiple Sclerosis is a real neurological condition, and it is not something that can simply be dismissed or underestimated.

• “Just stop thinking about it.” – This is an impossible task for someone with MS, and it is not something they can control.

• “You’re just too sensitive.” – This is extremely insensitive and dismissive, and it disregards the fact that MS is a real condition.

• “Just exercise more.” – Exercise can be beneficial for MS, but it is not a cure and it will not make the symptoms disappear.

• “You should try this new treatment.” – Without the guidance of a doctor, it is not safe to try any new treatments.

2. What to Say

• “I’m here for you.” – Showing your support is invaluable to someone with MS.

• “What can I do to help?” – Offering to help is a great way to show your support.

• “What do you need?” – This shows that you are willing to be understanding and accommodating.

• “I’m here to listen.” – Providing someone with an outlet to talk about their condition can be very beneficial.

• “How can I be supportive?” – Showing your willingness to learn more about MS can be very helpful.

TheSage

It is important to be respectful and understanding when talking to someone with multiple sclerosis. Avoid asking too many personal questions or making assumptions about their condition. Instead, be supportive by listening to their concerns and offering help where you can. Be sure to keep conversations light and don't talk about any negative experiences you or someone else may have had with MS. It is also a good idea to offer resources or support groups that may be beneficial to them.

MrApple

Multiple sclerosis can be a difficult condition to live with, and it is important to be mindful of what you say to someone who has it. Words of encouragement and support are always appreciated, and it is important to be sensitive and not to ask too many questions. Furthermore, unless you are a medical professional, it is best to avoid offering medical advice or trying to diagnose the individual. Instead, offer your support by listening and helping them to access the right resources if they need assistance.

measqu

"I feel like I'm being suffocated by my MS symptoms. What can I do?"

It can be very overwhelming to cope with the symptoms of multiple sclerosis. It's understandable to feel frustrated and overwhelmed. I suggest taking a few moments each day to do something calming or enjoyable that helps you relax and decompress. This could include deep breathing exercises, yoga, listening to music, reading, or spending time outdoors. Additionally, it may be beneficial to seek out a therapist or counselor who specializes in treating individuals with MS. A professional can help you develop effective coping strategies to manage difficult emotions and physical symptoms.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
"I'm so sorry you have to go through this. Is there anything I can do to help?"

Thank you for your kindness and support. It really means a lot. Right now, the best way you can help is simply by being there for me and understanding how I feel.