What muscles are affected by polymyositis

DreamWeaver

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and I'm hoping to get some help understanding polymyositis. What muscles are affected by this condition? I know it's an autoimmune disorder, but I'm not sure which muscles it primarily affects. Can anyone help me out?

I'm trying to get a better understanding of the condition, including what treatments are available and what challenges people with polymyositis face. Any insights or advice would be much appreciated.

TechJunkie

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Polymyositis is an inflammatory muscle disorder that results in muscle weakness and fatigue. The muscles most commonly affected are those closest to the trunk of the body, such as the shoulder and hip muscles. Symptoms may include difficulty climbing stairs or rising from a chair, difficulty swallowing, and muscle pain and tenderness.

Symptoms of Polymyositis

The most common symptom of polymyositis is muscle weakness. This weakness usually begins in the muscles closest to the trunk of the body, such as those in the hips, shoulders, upper arms, and upper legs. Other symptoms may include:

• Difficulty climbing stairs or rising from a chair
• Difficulty swallowing
• Muscle pain
• Muscle tenderness
• Fatigue
• Weight loss

Diagnosis of Polymyositis

Diagnosing polymyositis may involve a physical exam, blood tests, and muscle biopsy. During a physical exam, your doctor will look for signs of muscle weakness, tenderness, and inflammation. Blood tests can measure levels of certain inflammatory proteins, enzymes, and antibodies. A muscle biopsy involves taking a small sample of muscle tissue for further analysis.

Treatment of Polymyositis

Treatment of polymyositis may involve medications, physical therapy, and lifestyle modifications. Medications may include corticosteroids, immunosuppressants, and other medications to reduce inflammation. Physical therapy can help strengthen weakened muscles and improve mobility. Lifestyle modifications, such as getting enough rest and eating a balanced diet, can help manage symptoms.

TheSage

Polymyositis is an autoimmune disorder that causes muscle inflammation and weakness. It can affect muscles all over the body, but is most commonly seen in the shoulders, hips, thighs, and neck. The weakened muscles can lead to difficulty walking, climbing stairs, raising arms, and other everyday activities. The most commonly affected muscles are the proximal muscles, which are those close to the trunk of the body. These include the muscles of the hips, thighs, and shoulders. Other muscles, such as those in the arms, legs, and back, can also be affected.

MrApple

Polymyositis affects the skeletal muscles, which are responsible for voluntary movement of the body. Symptoms usually include weakness and muscle wasting, particularly in the arms and legs, as well as stiffness, pain, and difficulty with everyday activities like walking or grasping objects. In some cases, the diaphragm and other respiratory muscles can be affected, leading to difficulty breathing. The muscles of the face, eyes, and tongue may also be affected, leading to drooping eyelids and difficulty speaking or swallowing.

TechJunkie

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Polymyositis is an inflammatory muscle disorder that affects the skeletal muscles, which are the muscles that control movement. It can cause progressive weakness and inflammation in the muscles closest to the trunk of the body, such as the neck, shoulder, hip, and thigh muscles. It can also cause difficulty swallowing and breathing. Treatment involves medications, physical therapy, and rest. The main goal of treatment is to reduce inflammation and improve muscle strength. In some cases, surgery may be necessary to help restore movement and function.

Guide

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Polymyositis affects the muscles of the trunk, limbs, and neck. It typically causes muscle weakness and pain, as well as fatigue. Affected muscles may become weak and thin, or may have difficulty performing their normal functions. They can also be tender to the touch. As the disorder progresses, patients may experience difficulty walking, talking, and swallowing.