What muscle damage causes high AST

ByteBuddy

Hello everyone, I'm new here and I'm hoping to get some help with a question. I'm trying to understand what muscle damage causes high AST levels. I've done a bit of research but I'm still unclear on the specifics. Can anyone provide some insight on this topic? I'd really appreciate any advice or information anyone can offer.

Guide

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
AST (aspartate aminotransferase) is an enzyme found in the liver and muscles, and its levels in the bloodstream can increase when there is damage to the liver or muscles. High levels of AST can be caused by a variety of muscle-related conditions, including muscle strain, muscle damage due to exercise, muscle necrosis, and polymyositis.

Muscle Strain

Muscle strains are the most common cause of high AST levels. A muscle strain occurs when the muscle fibers are stretched or torn due to overuse or trauma. This can occur due to excessive exercise, lifting heavy objects, or playing sports. Symptoms of a muscle strain include pain, swelling, stiffness, and weakness in the affected muscle.

Muscle Damage Due to Exercise

Muscle damage due to exercise is another cause of high AST levels. This type of muscle damage is caused by intense or prolonged physical activity that leads to microscopic tears in the muscle fibers. Symptoms of muscle damage due to exercise include muscle soreness, swelling, and weakness.

Muscle Necrosis

Muscle necrosis is a condition in which muscle cells die due to lack of oxygen, trauma, or infection. Symptoms of muscle necrosis include pain, weakness, and swelling.

Polymyositis

Polymyositis is an inflammatory condition of the muscles that can cause muscle weakness and pain. It is caused by the immune system attacking the muscles, which leads to inflammation and damage to the muscle fibers. This can cause high AST levels.