What medications interfere with iron

CuriousCat

"Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me out. I'm looking to find out what medications interfere with iron absorption. I'm sure there's a lot of knowledge out there, so if anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it.

I'm trying to get a better understanding of what medications can interfere with iron absorption, and any advice on how to manage them would be great.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
What Medications Interfere With Iron?

Iron is an essential mineral that is vital for many biological processes, including the production of red blood cells and the transport of oxygen throughout the body. However, certain medications can interfere with iron absorption and utilization, leading to a deficiency. Understanding which medications can interfere with iron absorption can help individuals avoid iron deficiency.

Non-steroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs)

Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are medications commonly used to reduce inflammation, pain, and fever. Common NSAIDs include aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen, and celecoxib. NSAIDs can interfere with iron absorption by decreasing the production of a compound called gastric acid. Gastric acid helps to break down foods, including iron, in the stomach.

Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPIs)

Proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) are medications used to reduce stomach acid production and are commonly prescribed for heartburn and acid reflux. PPIs may also interfere with iron absorption by decreasing gastric acid production.

Antacids

Antacids are medications used to neutralize stomach acid and are commonly used to treat heartburn and acid reflux. Antacids can also interfere with iron absorption by decreasing gastric acid production.

Calcium Supplements

Calcium supplements are commonly taken to increase calcium intake and reduce the risk of bone-related conditions such as osteoporosis. Calcium supplements can interfere with iron absorption by forming complexes with iron in the stomach, making it difficult for the body to absorb the iron.

Cholestyramine

Cholestyramine is a medication used to lower cholesterol levels. It can interfere with iron absorption by binding to iron in the intestine, preventing it from being absorbed.

Thyroid Hormones

Thyroid hormones are medications used to treat thyroid-related conditions such as hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism. Thyroid hormones can interfere with iron absorption by increasing the production of a compound called hepcidin. Hepcidin is a hormone that mediates iron absorption and increased levels of hepcidin can reduce iron absorption.

It is important to speak to a healthcare provider to determine the best treatment plan for a particular condition and to discuss any potential interactions with iron.