What medications cause iron deficiency anemia

measqu

I'm looking for help understanding what medications cause iron deficiency anemia. I suffer from this condition and I'm worried that certain medications I'm taking may be contributing to it. I've done some research but I can't seem to find enough information to be sure. Can anyone help me understand what medications can cause iron deficiency anemia? If you have any experience with this I'd really appreciate it if you could share it here.

Guide

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Introduction

Iron deficiency anemia is a condition in which the body does not have enough iron to support normal red blood cell development. This can be caused by a variety of medications, including nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), antacids containing aluminum, antibiotics, chemotherapy drugs, anticonvulsants, and proton pump inhibitors. In this article, we will discuss the medications that can cause iron deficiency anemia and how to manage it.

Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs)

Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are commonly used to treat pain, fever, and inflammation. Examples include ibuprofen, naproxen, and aspirin. NSAIDs can interfere with iron absorption in the body, leading to anemia. To prevent this, people taking NSAIDs should take iron supplements and other medicines that help with iron absorption, such as vitamin C.

Antacids Containing Aluminum

Antacids containing aluminum can interfere with iron absorption in the body and lead to anemia. Examples of antacids containing aluminum include aluminum hydroxide and aluminum carbonate. People taking these antacids should take iron supplements and other medicines that help with iron absorption, such as vitamin C.

Antibiotics

Antibiotics can also cause iron deficiency anemia by interfering with iron absorption in the body. Examples of antibiotics that can cause anemia include quinolones, tetracyclines, chloramphenicol, and cephalosporins. People taking these antibiotics should take iron supplements and other medicines that help with iron absorption, such as vitamin C.

Chemotherapy Drugs

Chemotherapy drugs can also interfere with iron absorption in the body and lead to anemia. Examples of chemotherapy drugs that can cause anemia include methotrexate, 5-fluorouracil, and cyclophosphamide. People taking these drugs should take iron supplements and other medicines that help with iron absorption, such as vitamin C.

Anticonvulsants

Anticonvulsants can also interfere with iron absorption in the body and lead to anemia. Examples of anticonvulsants that can cause anemia include phenytoin and phenobarbital. People taking these drugs should take iron supplements and other medicines that help with iron absorption, such as vitamin C.

Proton Pump Inhibitors

Proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) are a type of medication used to treat heartburn, acid reflux, and other digestive disorders. They can interfere with iron absorption in the body and lead to anemia. People taking PPIs should take iron supplements and other medicines that help with iron absorption, such as vitamin C.

Conclusion

Iron deficiency anemia can be caused by a variety of medications, including nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), antacids containing aluminum, antibiotics, chemotherapy drugs, anticonvulsants, and proton pump inhibitors. To prevent anemia, people taking these medications should take iron supplements and other medicines that help with iron absorption, such as vitamin C.