What medication causes high AST and ALT

IdeaGenius

I'm really concerned about my recent lab results, which showed high levels of AST and ALT. Does anyone know what medications might be causing this? I'm looking to get more information on what medications could be causing this, so if anyone has any advice or knowledge, I'd really appreciate it. I'm hoping to get some insight into this issue and any potential solutions.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Introduction

AST (aspartate aminotransferase) and ALT (alanine aminotransferase) enzymes are found in the liver and are often used as biomarkers to assess liver health. Elevated levels of AST and ALT can be caused by a variety of medications, including some antibiotics, statins, and chemotherapy drugs. It is important to discuss any medications with a healthcare provider to determine if they may be causing elevated AST and ALT levels.

Medications That Can Cause High AST and ALT

Antibiotics: Certain antibiotics can increase AST and ALT levels, including ciprofloxacin, levofloxacin, and minocycline.

Statins: Statins are a class of drugs that are used to lower cholesterol. They can also increase AST and ALT levels.

Chemotherapy drugs: Chemotherapy drugs, such as doxorubicin and cyclophosphamide, can cause elevated AST and ALT levels.

Conclusion

Elevated levels of AST and ALT can be caused by a variety of medications, including antibiotics, statins, and chemotherapy drugs. It is important to discuss any medications with a healthcare provider to determine if they may be causing elevated AST and ALT levels.