What makes chronic rhinitis worse

measqu

Hi everyone,

I have been struggling with chronic rhinitis for some time now and I'm looking for some advice. Does anyone have any experience with what makes chronic rhinitis worse? I'm looking for tips on what I should avoid doing or eating in order to make sure my condition doesn't get any worse. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

KnowledgeKnight

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Risk Factors for Developing Chronic Rhinitis

Chronic rhinitis, also known as nonallergic rhinitis, is a condition that is characterized by a runny nose, nasal congestion, and postnasal drip. It can be caused by a number of factors, including allergies, environmental irritants, hormones, and certain medications. Some of the risk factors that can make chronic rhinitis worse include:

Allergens: Allergens, such as pollen, pet dander, and mold, can irritate the nasal passages and cause inflammation. This can lead to increased mucus production, nasal congestion, and a runny nose.

Irritants: Certain environmental irritants, such as smoke, fumes, and strong odors, can also worsen the symptoms of chronic rhinitis.

Hormones: Changes in hormone levels, particularly during pregnancy, can affect the mucous membranes in the nasal passages and cause increased nasal congestion.

Medications: Certain medications, such as decongestants and antihistamines, can cause the nasal passages to become dry and irritated. This can worsen the symptoms of chronic rhinitis.

Preventing and Treating Chronic Rhinitis

The best way to prevent and treat chronic rhinitis is to avoid the triggers that can worsen the symptoms. This includes avoiding known allergens, environmental irritants, and certain medications. It is also important to keep the nasal passages moist by using a saline nasal spray or humidifier.

In some cases, medications may be necessary to reduce inflammation and provide relief from symptoms. These can include antihistamines, decongestants, and corticosteroids. If medications are not enough to relieve symptoms, an allergist may recommend immunotherapy to desensitize the body to allergens.

By understanding the risk factors for developing chronic rhinitis and taking steps to prevent and treat it, it is possible to reduce the severity of symptoms and improve quality of life.