What makes allergic rhinitis better

CuriousCat

I'm hoping some of you forum users can help me out. I've been dealing with allergic rhinitis for a while now and I'm really looking to find out what helps make it better. Do any of you have any advice or experience with this? Are there any certain foods, drinks, or medicines that have helped make it more bearable? I'd really appreciate any help you can give me.

TechJunkie

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Allergy Treatments

Allergy treatments can be divided into two main categories: medications and lifestyle modifications.

Medications

There are several medications available to treat allergic rhinitis, including antihistamines, decongestants, corticosteroids, and immunotherapy.

Antihistamines: Antihistamines reduce the symptoms of allergies by blocking the effects of histamines, which are chemicals produced by the body that cause the symptoms of allergic rhinitis. Examples of antihistamines include cetirizine (Zyrtec), loratadine (Claritin), and fexofenadine (Allegra).

Decongestants: Decongestants are used to reduce nasal congestion and other symptoms of allergies caused by inflammation. Examples of decongestants include pseudoephedrine (Sudafed) and phenylephrine (Sudafed PE).

Corticosteroids: Corticosteroids are used to reduce inflammation and other symptoms of allergies. Examples of corticosteroids include fluticasone (Flonase) and mometasone (Nasonex).

Immunotherapy: Immunotherapy, or allergy shots, is used to treat allergies by introducing small amounts of the allergen to the body over a period of time. This helps the body become less sensitive to the allergen and reduces the symptoms of allergic rhinitis.

Lifestyle Modifications

In addition to medications, there are several lifestyle modifications that can help reduce the symptoms of allergic rhinitis.

Avoid triggers: Avoiding triggers, such as pollen, pet dander, and dust mites, can help reduce the symptoms of allergic rhinitis.

Keep windows and doors closed: Keeping windows and doors closed during peak allergy times, such as spring and fall, can help reduce the amount of pollen and other allergens that enter the home.

Use an air conditioner: Using an air conditioner can help reduce the amount of pollen and other allergens in the air.

Wash bedding and clothing regularly: Washing bedding and clothing in hot water can help reduce the amount of allergens on them.

Use a dehumidifier: Using a dehumidifier can help reduce the amount of dust mites in the air.

Conclusion

Allergic rhinitis can be managed with a combination of medications and lifestyle modifications. Antihistamines, decongestants, corticosteroids, and immunotherapy can help reduce the symptoms of allergic rhinitis. Additionally, avoiding triggers, keeping windows and doors closed, using an air conditioner, washing bedding and clothing regularly, and using a dehumidifier can help reduce the symptoms of allergic rhinitis.