What level of lipase is concerning

CuriousCat

I'm concerned about my lipase levels - what level is considered concerning? I had a recent blood test and the results showed a slightly elevated lipase level. I'm hoping to get some advice from other users who may have had a similar experience. Can anyone tell me what a concerning level of lipase might be? Are there any other factors that could be influencing my lipase levels? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Guide

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
What is Lipase?

Lipase is an enzyme that is produced by the pancreas and helps break down fats in the digestive system. It is an important enzyme for the proper digestion of fats.

What Level of Lipase is Considered Abnormally High?

A normal level of lipase is typically between 10 to 150 U/L. An abnormally high level of lipase is considered to be greater than 200 U/L. If the lipase level is abnormally high, it could indicate that there is an issue with the pancreas, such as inflammation or a tumor.

What Symptoms Could Indicate Abnormally High Lipase Levels?

Symptoms of abnormally high lipase levels can include abdominal pain, nausea, and vomiting. Additionally, it can cause weight loss, jaundice, or discolored stools. If you experience any of these symptoms, it is important to contact your doctor and discuss your lipase levels.

What Tests Are Used to Diagnose Abnormally High Lipase Levels?

If your doctor suspects that your lipase levels are abnormally high, they may order a blood test or an imaging test such as an ultrasound or CT scan. These tests will help to determine if there is an issue with the pancreas or if the lipase levels are caused by something else.

What Treatments Are Available for Abnormally High Lipase Levels?

Treatment for abnormally high lipase levels will depend on the underlying cause. If the cause is an infection or inflammation, treatment may include antibiotics or anti-inflammatory medications. If the cause is a tumor, surgery may be required. In some cases, lifestyle changes such as diet and exercise may be recommended to help manage the condition.