What labs are in a hemolytic panel

measqu

Hi everyone! I'm hoping somebody can help me out. I'm trying to figure out what labs are in a hemolytic panel. I'm not sure if there is a standard set of labs used for testing or if it depends on the individual's needs.

MindMapper

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
A hemolytic panel is a type of blood test used to diagnose and monitor certain conditions that cause the breakdown of red blood cells. It typically measures the levels of proteins, enzymes, and other substances in the blood that are associated with hemolysis, or the destruction of red blood cells. The lab tests included in a hemolytic panel are:

Hemoglobin

Hemoglobin is the protein in red blood cells that carries oxygen throughout the body. It is measured to evaluate the presence of anemia, a condition in which the body does not produce enough red blood cells.

Haptoglobin

Haptoglobin is an acute-phase protein released in response to hemolysis. Low levels of haptoglobin may indicate hemolytic anemia.

LDH (Lactate Dehydrogenase)

LDH is an enzyme present in red blood cells that helps to break down glucose for energy. High levels of LDH can indicate hemolytic anemia.

Bilirubin

Bilirubin is a byproduct of the breakdown of hemoglobin. High levels of bilirubin can indicate hemolysis.

Indirect Coombs Test

The indirect Coombs test is used to detect antibodies that may be attacking red blood cells, which can cause hemolysis.

Reticulocyte Count

A reticulocyte count is used to measure the percentage of immature red blood cells in the body. This test can help to diagnose hemolytic anemia.