What labs are done for warm autoimmune hemolytic anemia

DreamWeaver

I'm looking for information on what labs are done for warm autoimmune hemolytic anemia. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge on this subject? I'd appreciate any advice or tips on what tests I should ask my doctor to do. I'm also interested in hearing about what other people have gone through when they've been diagnosed with this condition.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Laboratory Tests for Warm Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia (WAIHA)

WAIHA is a condition in which the body's immune system attacks its own red blood cells. Diagnosis of WAIHA is based on clinical signs and symptoms, blood tests, and other laboratory tests. The following laboratory tests are usually performed in diagnosing WAIHA:

Complete Blood Count (CBC): A CBC is used to measure the number of red and white blood cells, as well as the amount of hemoglobin in the blood. Low hemoglobin levels can indicate anemia.

Blood Smear: A blood smear is used to examine the shape and size of the red blood cells. Abnormalities in the shape and size of red blood cells can indicate the presence of WAIHA.

Coomb's Test: The Coomb's test is used to detect the presence of antibodies on the surface of red blood cells. The presence of antibodies indicates the presence of WAIHA.

Reticulocyte Count: The reticulocyte count is used to measure the number of immature red blood cells in the blood. High reticulocyte counts can indicate anemia caused by WAIHA.

LDH Test: The LDH test measures the amount of lactate dehydrogenase in the blood. Elevated levels of lactate dehydrogenase can indicate hemolysis, which is the destruction of red blood cells.

Haptoglobin Test: The haptoglobin test measures the amount of haptoglobin in the blood. Low levels of haptoglobin can indicate the presence of WAIHA.

Direct Antiglobulin Test (DAT): The DAT is used to detect the presence of antibodies on the surface of red blood cells. The presence of antibodies indicates the presence of WAIHA.

Bone Marrow Examination: A bone marrow examination may be performed to determine the cause of the anemia. The bone marrow may show an increase in the number of immature red blood cells, which can indicate WAIHA.