What labs are abnormal with AML

IdeaGenius

I'm a medical student researching about AML (acute myeloid leukemia) and I was wondering if any other forum users could help me out in understanding which lab results are commonly abnormal in patients with this condition? I'm particularly interested in learning more about what types of blood tests are done to diagnose AML, and what type of abnormal results can be expected. Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated.

ConceptCrafter

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Subtitle Forum

In acute myeloid leukemia (AML) the following lab values may be abnormal:

Hemoglobin: Hemoglobin levels are usually decreased due to anemia caused by increased bone marrow activity.

White Blood Cell Count: White blood cell count is usually increased due to the increased production of immature white blood cells by the bone marrow.

Platelet Count: Platelet count is usually decreased due to the increased production of immature platelets by the bone marrow.

Liver Function Tests: Liver function tests may be abnormal due to the presence of immature white blood cells in the liver.

Kidney Function Tests: Kidney function tests may be abnormal due to the presence of immature white blood cells in the kidneys.

Coagulation Studies: Coagulation studies may be abnormal due to the presence of immature platelets in the blood.

Cytogenetics: Cytogenetic studies may reveal chromosomal abnormalities that are associated with AML.