What lab is high with pancreatitis

strawberry

I'm looking for help understanding what lab is high with pancreatitis. I recently heard about this condition, and I'm trying to learn more. I understand it's associated with an increased level of certain enzymes, but I'm unsure which specific lab value is high for someone with pancreatitis. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience they could share about this? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

TechJunkie

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Blood Tests

When someone has pancreatitis, certain blood tests can help to diagnose the condition. The most common tests used to diagnose pancreatitis are amylase and lipase. Amylase is an enzyme that breaks down carbohydrates in the body, and lipase is an enzyme that breaks down fats. High levels of these enzymes in the blood indicate that the pancreas is inflamed. Other tests that may be ordered include a bilirubin test, which measures the level of bile in the blood, and an electrolyte panel, which measures the levels of potassium, sodium, and chloride. Additionally, a complete blood count (CBC) may be ordered to look for signs of infection.