What lab increases with pancreatitis

measqu

Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum and I am hoping to get some help. I have been trying to research what lab increases with pancreatitis and have found some conflicting information. Does anyone have any experience with this or know what the lab values usually look like in this case? I'd really appreciate any advice or insight you can provide.

TechJunkie

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Lab Tests

Pancreatitis can be diagnosed through a variety of lab tests. The most commonly used tests are:

Lipase - Lipase is an enzyme produced by the pancreas. When pancreatitis is present, the levels of lipase in the blood will be elevated.

Amylase - Amylase is another enzyme produced by the pancreas. When pancreatitis is present, the levels of amylase in the blood will be increased.

Liver Enzymes - Elevated levels of liver enzymes (ALT and AST) can also indicate pancreatitis.

Serum Calcium - An elevated serum calcium level can also indicate pancreatitis.

Ultrasound - An ultrasound of the abdomen can help to detect any abnormalities in the pancreas that may suggest pancreatitis.

CT Scan - A CT scan of the abdomen can also be used to detect any abnormalities that may suggest pancreatitis.

Treatment

Once pancreatitis is diagnosed, treatment will vary depending on the severity of the condition. Treatment may include:

Fluid Replacement - Fluid replacement may be necessary to replace any fluids that were lost due to vomiting or diarrhea.

Pain Medication - Pain medication may be necessary to control the pain associated with pancreatitis.

Antibiotics - Antibiotics may be prescribed to treat any infections that may be present.

Dietary Changes - Dietary changes may be necessary to reduce the risk of further pancreatitis episodes.

Surgery - In severe cases, surgery may be necessary to remove any damaged or diseased tissue.